Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A rose is a rose...

This rose was the June 2011 class tambour embroidery piece when I studied with Bob Haven at the University of Kentucky.  Several pieces of the rose and one rose leaf were constructed independent of the main embroidery. In other words, it was all stitched with the tambour hook and then several parts were cut out of the fabric, web fused and stitched down to create a three dimensional look to the piece.  Unfortunately I did not document that process of the piece.  The leaf on the top right has a small line of green jewels tambour stitched down.  During this class is when I learned the infamous pulled stitch.  The green cotton thread just under the flower  and the light red cotton above the pink sequins on the rose are all pulled stitch- easy once it is mastered but difficult to learn at first.

A close up of the bud.


 A close up of one of the leaves.  This was quite fun to stitch up.  Bob's class is again in June for master class but I am not sure I am going to be able to go since the Royal School of Needlework has a class in illuminated lettering in goldwork and silk shading that I have my eye on quite seriously.  What to do...

Here is a lovely shot from our apartment window of the lovely trees in full Springtime blossom.  We love walking our beautiful neighborhood this time of year, even though it is unseasonably warm, like everywhere else, but the flowers!  A house near our building has my favorite daffodil and I don't know if they are subspecies or what but the blossoms are HUGE.  It's all I can do to keep myself under control to pick some and run home with them.  Next week I hope to have alot more progress to show on my Lesage piece. I got quite a bit done last night.  Also I will show a finish on another of my favorites- rug punch needle- finished into a needlebook.  Not enough hours in the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment